Though it might look good to eat…

Do you remember that PSA that had puppets singing: don’t you put it in your mouth? I feel that it should be played ad nauseam until it actually sticks. I’ve had two patients now who have come in after possibly ingesting grandma’s medication. Not sure how bitter tasting pills could pass as candy, but in the mind of a toddler anything is edible I suppose.

One of the most important thing during the triage is to get a weight on the child. Then after all the ABCs are looked after, you should call poison control next. The times I’ve had a child come in, one had (maybe) ingested amlopdine, and the other kid ramipril.

Luckily, neither of the children had ingested a dosage that was fatal. But still, it was a frightening experience for both patient and family.

Sometimes you have to put down an nasal-gastric tube and give activated charcoal. Other times you might just have to monitor vital signs until the drug wears off.

In the two cases I managed, it seemed unlikely that either of the toddlers had taken the pill. However, we had to err on the side of caution.

Also good idea to know your normal values for paediatrics. Quick trick when you’re trying to figure out normal SBP in a child older than 1 year old: 90 + 2(age) to a range of 70 + 2(age).

Links:
Ontario Poison Centre

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: